An impact wrench is a commonly used and versatile air tool that needs a certain type of air compressor to work right. So, before choosing the best air compressor for impact wrenches, it’s a good idea to find out what the air tools need and look at some of the best options.
Also, maximum-impact wrenches have motors that send the hammer straight out of the tool. And it lets it work quickly when the connector only needs a small amount of torque.
If you follow the guide, you’ll be able to find the best air compressors that can run an impact wrench easily for a long time. Despite these being versatile, quiet, and suitable for different job sites.
Table of Contents
Best Air Compressor for Impact Wrench
No matter what you add to an air compressor or why the question “Which one is the best?” always comes up.
“This may seem like a silly question, but there are many air compressors on the market today. So you should really think about all of the above options before you choose one.
After reading a lot of reviews and collecting a lot of different gadgets, we have made a list of the. It makes sure that the percussion keys work well. Every product is looked at here with all of its good and bad points in mind.
WEN: Best 10 Gallon Air Compressor for Impact Wrench
- This vertical air compressor can put out up to 150 PSI, which is enough to make any impact wrench work well.
- The air compressor is made with a pump that doesn’t use oil, so it doesn’t need to be oiled or maintained.
- It has a handle with a rubber grip and a 7-inch wheel to make it easier to move.
- The air compressor is easy to use because it has a quick coupler and a drain valve that are easy to reach.
When you use a vertical air compressor, you can store it in a smaller area. Consider this WEN 10 gallon vertical air compressor if you like the idea and want to use your pneumatic impact wrench well for a long time. This air compressor is vertical, as the name suggests, and it can hold up to 10 gallons of compressed air.
It means you will need a lot of compressed air to run the impact wrench, but the compressor will only take up a small amount of space. Aside from that, the compressor can give out 4.0 CFM at 90 PSI, which means it can be used with any impact wrench.
What we like
- It is a small air compressor that is powerful enough to run any impact wrench for a long time. The compressor is easy to move, stays still, and doesn’t need much maintenance.
What we didn’t like
- The check valve’s cap isn’t very good, and the compressor can be too loud to use inside.
Industrial Air: 20 Gallon Air Compressor for Impact Wrench
- The air compressor is ready to use right out of the box because it is already put together.
- This 20-gallon air compressor can be put in either a horizontal or vertical position, depending on how much room is available on the job site.
- This air compressor can be used for a lot of different things. It has 2 air access assemblies and can be used either as a tank to store air or as a portable tank to carry air.
- The air compressor is well made and can be used for a long time with any pneumatic tool.
Looking for an unbeatable price on the best 20-gallon air compressor for an impact wrench? Check out this 20-gallon air compressor from Industrial Air. Even better, it’s a multifunctional air compressor that can be placed both horizontally and vertically. This makes it the perfect air compressor for any size home garage.
Another great thing about this air compressor is that you can use it as a tank to store air or as a portable tank to carry air for a number of different tasks.
What we like
- This 20-gallon air compressor has a great price, is made of strong materials, and will last for a long time. The air compressor comes all put together and can be used for many different things.
What we didn’t like
- The fitting and the gauge are not very good, and the fitting will need to be tightened.
Makita MAC2400: Best Air Compressor for impact wrench
- The engine runs at 79dB and has 2.5 horsepower.
- This pump is long-lasting because it is made of cast iron, and the piston and cylinder are made to bore bigger.
- It has a quick recovery time so that it can work better.
- The motor has four poles that work together to make 4.2 cfm.
- The dual-stack 4.2-gallon tank is bigger than most personal air compressors, which hold up to 6 gallons.
- The tanks are made to handle working pressure of 130 psi, so firing two guns at the same time is not a problem.
- The powerful motor that makes 90PSI has low noise and high output.
One of the most popular air compressors on the market is the Makita MAC2400 Big Bore 2.5HP Compressor. Makita is a well-known brand, and the MAC2400 is the best tool for DIY projects. The Makita MAC2400 is a good place to start if you want to find the best air compressor for an impact wrench.
The cylindrical cage is made in a way that protects it from all harsh operating conditions. Switches are less likely to get stuck when starting up if they don’t use much AMP. Lubrication with oil cools the pump as it works and reduces wear. The pump for this air compressor can be taken out for easy maintenance.
Since the 2.5 hp MAC2400 Big Bore engine has a lube oil pump, the oil needs to be changed every 300 hours or three months, whichever comes first. To be clear, you can use it if you want the best small air compressor for an impact wrench.
What we like
- Durability: The company made this product with high-quality parts and materials that are made to last.
- It has a lot of power for how small it is. The MAC2400 2.5 HP Big Bore needs at least 15 amps to run.
- Industrial Type Air Filter – For air intake, a large industrial air filter is used. This makes the compressor more efficient and lets more air into it.
What we didn’t like
- Safety is improved because the engine will stop on its own if the system’s maximum pressure is reached. This is a very important safety feature that can prevent fatal accidents.
Craftsman: Air Compressor for impact wrench
- It is heavier than most air compressors this size because it is made of cast iron, but it can still be moved. Some users also say that the oil drain plug is too close to the oil pan, but most reviews were good!
- Air Compressor for Impact Wrench by Craftsman
- This compressor can handle a lot of air, has a maximum air pressure of 150 psi, and can move 2.6 cfm of air at 90 psi.
- Power is enough to use pneumatic tools like trimmers, siding, and roofers.
- The CMEC6150 is a pump that is easy to use and doesn’t need to be taken care of.
- It is built well and has sturdy rubber feet that keep it from moving while it is in use.
- Also, the compressor has two 1/4″ NPT ports that can be used to connect two pipes or tools at the same time.
The CMEC6150 is a simple compressor that is well made, strong, and portable. The design of the handle to carry it and the rubber feet to protect your feet and the surface it sits on is impressive. Because there is no oil in the pump, this compressor is also very low maintenance.
The compressor comes with a 1-year limited warranty from Craftsman, and parts are easy to find. Global Materials makes this portable air compressor in the United States. This air compressor is easier to move around and can store air because it can hold 6 gallons. The maximum pressure is 150 PSI to make sure there is enough cutting pressure in inches for a variety of uses.
You can switch between different pneumatic gears with the help of the front handle and the two quick-release vents. The internal parts are protected by a better housing and console lid, and the compressor is very easy to move because it weighs only 30 pounds and has a built-in handle. So, if you want something portable, you can buy Craftsman without much trouble.
What we like
- Quality item—Given how cheap it is, this compressor is of good quality.
- Users voted this item as the best portable air compressor for impact wrench because of how portable it is. It only weighs 30 pounds and has comfortable handles that make it easy to carry.
- Its maximum power is 150 PSI, which is enough to fill any high-pressure truck tire.
- Secure Fit: The company made this item with long-lasting materials and flexible feet to make it last longer.
- Fast Recovery Time: This best compressor for impact wrench has a surprising 2.6-SCFM90 in psi, which gives it a short recovery time.
What we didn’t like
- 82 dB isn’t very quiet, but many people don’t mind because the price is so low. Some people have also said that the safety check valve was broken and leaking. But they make sure there isn’t enough upkeep.
BOSTITCH: Best Cheap Air compressor for impact wrench
- It has a 110V Bostitch electric motor that starts with 15 amps and is efficient with electricity.
- Both the motor and the pump work very well together.
- Even though the unit has a 6-gallon tank, a powerful engine, and a compressor pump, it only weighs 29 lbs.
- The oil-free design of the compressor makes it easier to clean and gives you clean compressed air.
- It is powered by an electric motor that is very efficient and not too loud at 78.5 dBA.
Bostitch is known all over the world for making air compressors and pneumatic tools that work well, last a long time, and are reliable. One of the best portable pancake air compressors you can buy today is the BTFP02012 model.
It also has a regulator with a high flow rate and couplings to make air tools work as well as possible. The speed of the very efficient motor is 2.6cc. ft per minute at 90 psi pressure and is easier to start when it’s cold. Also, the compressor can be used by two people at the same time because it has two connectors. The tank can hold up to 150 psi. It makes tools last longer and helps them get back to work quickly. The weight of 29 pounds makes it easy to move and store.
The six-gallon tank on the BOSTITCH Pancake air compressor for impact wrench is used to fill the tool. The BTFP02012 is well made, just like other air compressors from Bostitch. It has one of the biggest air tanks of its kind and a lot of safety features.
What we like
- Lightweight: This item, which weighs about 29 pounds, is small and easy to carry around.
- Power Supply All the time: Bostitch has built in a 6-gallon tank that keeps air flowing even when the engine is off.
- It can be used in a lot of different ways because it has two standard connectors and a high voltage regulator.
- Low operating costs: The pump doesn’t need to be maintained because it doesn’t use oil. This makes it last longer.
- Ease of Use: It comes with an outrigger rod that works well and is easy to start, even when it’s cold outside.
What we didn’t like
- The 1.5m power cord that is included is not very long. The device can, however, hold up to two pneumatic tools at once. Also, there is only a one-year warranty. Be sure to take care of the air compressor so it doesn’t break down.
DEWALT: Best Pancake Air Compressor for impact wrench
- The compressor is made with a very efficient motor that can start smoothly even when an extension cord is plugged in or it is cold outside.
- It can handle up to 165 psi of pressure, which I think is enough.
- At a pressure of 90 psi, the tank can hold 6 gallons and can move 2.6 cfm of air.
- It also has a high current regulator to make it work as well as possible.
- Also, it comes with two standard plugs, so you can use two power tools at once.
- The pump was made with oil to make it easier to use. It has a spherical drain valve that empties the tank to get rid of any water that has built up inside.
If you like the idea of the best air compressor for impact wrench but worry about small tanks and small capacities, the Pancake DeWalt DWFP55126 6 Gallon 165 PSI Compressor might be the one for you.
Even though this machine has a high pressure rating, it is quiet, with a noise level of 75.5 decibels. It doesn’t weigh much—only 30 pounds—so it’s easy to take with you anywhere. Rubber feet, for instance, keep things steady and keep the floor from getting scratched. The outlet tube is made to go around the point where it connects.
Most power tools have a working pressure between 90 and 120 psi. This means that if they are used in short bursts, they can do almost anything. The skills listed above are enough to pump up tires, clean the air, and make small repairs.
What we like
- It comes with a detailed Dewalt DWFP55126 Quick Start Guide that makes it easy to set up.
- Warranty: The new DWFP55126 model from Dewalt comes with a warranty that lasts for one year.
- Less noise: This air compressor is one of the quietest in its class.
- Durable Construction: The plastic grill over the compressor, the sturdy handle, and the metal tank are all well-made and made to last.
What we didn’t like
- Standard hoses have tiny bearings that can leak air if they are not taken care of well. Also, it’s not the lightest air compressor for an impact gun, but it’s pretty easy to move around.
PORTER-CABLE: Air Compressor for impact wrench
- The design maximizes stability and performance, giving 2.6 SCFM at 90 psi:inch and a quick system recovery time.
- It can hold enough air for most small to medium jobs in its 6-gallon tank.
- It has a tank that can hold up to 150 psi.
- Two pressure gauges that can be read show how much pressure is still in the tank and in the pipeline.
- A simple sleeve protects meters and other important parts from the weather while they are still.
- The machine can be used by two people at the same time because it has two air connectors that can be changed.
We’re now at the fifth spot, which is the most practical and a good air compressor for impact wrench. Porter-Cable is getting a lot of attention from potential customers because of its low price and high value. Also, the pump doesn’t need to be filled or oiled, so you don’t have to worry about that. It works perfectly well with no extra work.
It only weighs 34 pounds and is much more comfortable than you might think. It can be moved quickly and fits in even the smallest car. Another great thing about the engine is that it works well in all kinds of weather. The 120-volt motor is well protected and can be started even when it is very cold. The oil-free pump on the air compressor lasts a long time and doesn’t need any maintenance. The console lid has a handle, protects important parts, makes the device easier to carry, and comes with a cable wrap.
What we like
- Low power use: It only needs 120 volts to work, so it’s cost-effective.
- Extremely effective: This part can run for several hours straight without losing its effectiveness.
- It has a fast recovery time because it has 2.6 SCFM at 90 PSI. Think about how quickly time gets better!
- Oil-free engine – The company made this with oil-free pumps so that it will last as long as possible. It works easily and without any trouble.
- Long-term use: The oil-free pump is designed to last a long time and doesn’t need to be maintained often.
What we didn’t like
- It only comes in one color and shape, but most people don’t care much about the color. The company does not tell you how to use it either. It’s easy to use, though.
Makita MAC210Q: Best small air compressor for impact wrench
- Like the other three Makita Quiet series compressors, this one is strong and well-made, and it has a solid and complete roll cage.
- The MAC210Q is almost maintenance-free because it has an oil-free pump and an asynchronous motor with a direct drive.
- A strong 1-hp engine moves 2 cu. ft. of air per minute.
- This is enough to run most air-powered nailers and small air-powered tools (low CFM).
- In just 65 seconds, the 2-gallon air tank can be filled from 0 to 135 psi (pounds per square inch).
- Also, since it only uses seven amps of power, you can plug the MAC2100Q in almost anywhere.
On the job site and in the lab, compressors are useful tools. Makita air compressors are popular because they make less noise, recover faster, last longer, and work the same way every time.
The pump and motor in the MAC210Q run at a slower speed to make them last longer. It also weighs only 44 pounds, which makes it easier to move around. The series of 60 decibels for worker and crew amenities are easy to use, so it can be used inside. It runs at 1750 rpm to make sure the motor and pump last longer. The whole design of the cage protects it from different working, transporting, and storing conditions.
The Makita Quiet Series Air Compressor MAC210Q Series is the middle-sized unit in the new Makita Quiet Series. With a noise level of only 60 dBA, it is great for indoor use, home decor and carpentry, installing cabinets and bases, making cabinets or furniture, and more.
What we like
- So, you can use this one if you want a compressor that will last a long time.
- The Quiet Series is made to be quieter than 60 decibels (dB) for the comfort of the operator and crew. This makes it perfect for use inside.
- Highly portable. Makita made it light so that it can be moved around the workplace more easily.
- Long Life: This item runs at a slower speed (1750rpm) to make the motor and pump last longer.
- Quality Build: Like most Makita tools, this Quiet series air compressor is very well made.
- It keeps the motor, pump, and derailleur from getting damaged while it’s being stored, moved, and used.
What we didn’t like
- Some users say that they sometimes leak if they aren’t taken care of properly. Also, the inside of the tank has gotten some bad reviews, but most of the reviews were good.
California: Best Portable Air Compressor for impact wrench
- At 90 psi, a 1 HP pump can move 2.2 cubic feet of air per minute, and at 120 psi, it can move 120 cubic feet per minute.
- It only takes 165 seconds to fill an 8-gallon tank to around 120 psi from empty.
- From about 90 psi to the full 120 psi can take about 60 seconds to fix.
- This air compressor is portable and weighs 48 kg. It is also very quiet.
- The CAT-8510 only uses 8.5A, so you can plug it in almost anywhere in your house, outside, or in your garage.
- The 8-gallon steel air tank has a handle and a wheel that make it easy to move.
- Two air meters measure the pressure and flow of air from the cylinder.
- The air quick disconnect coupler and the line pressure controller are both close enough to walk to.
With a noise level of fewer than 60 decibels, the CAT-8010 Steel Tank Compressor is made to be one of the quietest portable air compressors on the market. Because of this, it is perfect for people who work inside and care a lot about noise.
A powerful 1.0 hp engine only turns at 1680 rpm, which cuts down on noise and wear. The oil-free pumping mechanism with two pistons works well and lasts a long time. This air compressor from California Air Tools is great for people who work inside and are worried about noise.
Also, the condensate drain valve on the air reservoir is a 1/4-turn ball valve that makes it easy to take care of the reservoir. The California Air Tools Ultra Quiet “Contractor Grade” line includes this air compressor. The 8510 gives a 1-year limited warranty on the CAT. It has a voltage of 110V/60 Hz. It makes about 60 dB of noise, which is almost nothing. It can be used in different temperatures and on the rough ground because its pump doesn’t need oil.
What we like
- Value for money: CAT was one of the first companies to make quiet air compressors, and most of the time, the units they make are better than what you pay for them.
- Huge Service Life: The oil-free double-piston pump is rated to last for over 3000 hours, which is a lot longer than other pumps.
- Fast Recovery Time: It takes only 60 seconds for the pressure to go back up to 90-120 psi.
- This element gives off less heat and gets rid of it more quickly, which is very efficient.
- Better portability: This portable air compressor is very easy to move around thanks to a set of wheels.
What we didn’t like
- Even though this product is very flexible, in some cases it is not good for high CFM applications. Some people who have used it for a long time have also noticed an electric burning smell.
How Big of an Air Compressor Do I Need for an Impact Wrench?
Most impact wrenches are pneumatic tools that don’t have to run all the time, like a die grinder or sandblaster. It means that a portable air compressor can work well with an impact wrench. There are different sizes of air compressors, which are measured in gallons. Don’t forget that the bigger the gallon air compressor, the longer it will run and the faster it will fill up. Many professionals and enthusiasts say that you need at least a 6-gallon air compressor with 4CFM to use an impact wrench.
If you choose a smaller air compressor, it might be hard to use the impact wrench smoothly. But if you want a bigger size, you should buy an air compressor that can hold no more than 20 gallons. Even though you can get bigger air compressors, you have to find a good balance between price and capacity. A bigger air compressor will definitely run for longer, but it will also cost you more. We already said that the impact wrench doesn’t need to run for a longer time.
So you should buy an air compressor with a 10-gallon tank. It will give you enough compressed air to get the job done without breaking the bank. A 30-gallon air compressor is another option if you run a home garage or need something for the business world.
How to Choose the Best Air Compressor for Impact Wrench
Since you have a specific use in mind, it doesn’t make sense to buy an air compressor for no reason. Spending money on something just because it has good features or is the most expensive on the list is a waste. Here are a few important things to think about when choosing a tool to help you out.
When you buy something, you want to keep using it for as long as possible. So, think carefully about air compressors that are good for the environment. You can be sure that your air compressors will work over long distances if you look into their viability and choose well-known brands.
Think About How Big Your Air Impact Wrench Is
If you could buy an air compressor based on the size of the impact wrench, that would be helpful. Your key should be half an inch or an inch long. The requirements for each key measure are different. So first think about the type of key and then choose the right one.
Portability: You want to use an air compressor with a wrench, which means moving it to your garage or workshop. So, portability is a key that shouldn’t be missed. It might be a little heavy, but wheels and handles could make your job easier.
Stationary compressors are better than regular ones.
Stationary air compressors can do more than the portable air compressors that people and small businesses use every day. Because of this, we think stationary compressors are better than traditional compressors.
Greasing or No Oil?
Some units don’t need to be oiled, but others do. Models that don’t use oil are better for the environment and save a lot of time and work. Lubricants, on the other hand, are stronger and last longer.
Pay attention to how loud it is.
Most people don’t know this, but noise levels are important in the long run. There are more things to choose from if you want something that doesn’t make much noise. These things are helpful, especially if you live close to your neighbors.
Can these compressors be used for other things?
You can, for sure. We look into every kind of air compressor that can be used for different things. In addition to using air impact wrenches, you can do the following with these kits:
You can use a spray gun for a car project if that’s what you want to do.
With the air pressure from these compressors, you can blow dirt, leaves, and wood dust out of your garage.
With these compressors, it’s easy to fill a spirit level or a balloon.
You can use this to use a sanding or sanding tool that works with the air.
Do you want to learn how to grease a fat pistol? Grease is put on parts with these compressors.
How do I empty my air compressor? How to Do It Step by Step
The other device is almost the same as the air compressor. It needs to be maintained from time to time to make sure it works right. The easiest tip is to get rid of the moisture in your compressor tank.
This is because when it pumps air into its tank, it adds moisture to the air. No matter how big the unit is, you have to drain the water out of it to keep the air compressor from having problems.
Here are the steps you need to take to properly empty your air compressor.
The first step is (Switch off your compressor)
Check to see if it’s off. Turn it off by moving the switch to the off position and unplugging it.
2nd Step (Relieve pressure)
You must get the pressure in the cylinder below 10 psi. Just pull on the ASME ring on its relief valve. Before you take off the ring, wear safety goggles because the air that is escaping could make dust or dirt. Pull the ring until the PSI reaches 10 or the reservoir is empty, whichever comes first.
3rd Step (Unscrew the drain cock)
You can now get rid of the water that has built up in the tank. Find the valve at the bottom of the tank that lets you take the tank off. You can open the drain valve once you find it. Then get rid of the water. You might have to turn the tank backwards and forwards to get rid of all the water.
Last Step (The closing price of the drain)
Close the drain valve once the water has drained out. Make sure it is filled out correctly. If you use your air compressor right away, you can move it afterward to move the tank. Also, you can click on it again the next time you use it.
How are CFM and SCFM different from each other?
Air compressors often have different motors, sizes, shapes, and ways of being put together. When I look at product specs, I see CFM, which is one of the most important measurements for a good air compressor.
CFM stands for “cubic feet per minute,” which is a way to measure how much air a compressor can move at certain air pressure. CFM is a basic rule of thumb, but it doesn’t tell the whole story about how well an air compressor works.
This is because CFM doesn’t take into account heat and friction, which can reduce flow. In this case, you need to look at the actual ACFM or CFM to get a better idea of how the airflow was measured.
SCFM stands for “Standard Cubic Foot per Minute” most of the time. SCFM usually looks at ACFM’s work and then sets standards that both science and business agree on. This standard talks about temperature, humidity, and pressure. SCFM can be different in different places.
CFM is a measurement of how much air a certain air compressor can move. At the same time, SCFM means that machines made by generic manufacturers must be made in a standard way.
Questions about the best air compressor for an impact wrench
For an impact wrench, what size air compressor do I need?
The size of the tank is another thing to think about when buying an air compressor. For minor keys like v inches, I recommend getting an air tank that holds at least 5 gallons of air. If you only use an air tool every now and then, a 5-gallon can of air will be more than enough. A 20-gallon air compressor is thought to be best for making pneumatic tools work better. If you want to use a lot of wrenches or work all the time, you should get a bigger air tank.
How much PSI does an impact wrench need?
The air pressure needed to run the air compressor is based on the size of the impact wrench. Some impact switches work best with air pressure between 90 and 100 psi, while others need higher air pressure. Before agreeing to use an air compressor, you should always check its psi size. As the list shows, the best air compressors for cranes must have a maximum air pressure of at least 125 psi for pneumatic tools to work right.
Can an impact wrench be used with a pancake air compressor?
Of course, you can use a small air compressor with a Cable and Porter pancake-style impact wrench. CFM (cubic feet per minute) could be a problem when using a pancake compressor. But it will only run the device for short amounts of time before you have to wait.
Which is better, an air impact wrench or an electric one?
It’s hard to answer this question with a clear answer. Both electric and pneumatic impact wrenches have their pros and cons. But if you use your wrench a lot, you should use a pneumatic impact wrench instead. And if you’re only going to use it occasionally for small jobs, a power cord or wireless power switch is probably your best bet.
Can I take off lug nuts with an impact wrench?
In short, yes, but it may be different. If you tighten the lug nuts to the required torque, which is between 80 and 100 lb-ft, and the impact driver’s torque is more than 100 lb-ft, you can use it to take them off. On the other hand, a cordless impact driver won’t loosen lug nuts that are rusted, frozen, or tightened too much.
Use the Best Air Compressor for impact wrench as an example.
There are some things that the best air compressor for an impact wrench needs to have in order to do the job right. All of these things are true of the products we’ve already talked about. The Makita MAC2400 is a good choice if you want to use it for a long time and get the best features.
The Craftsman air compressor is a good choice if you want something that you can take with you. The California Air Tools 8010 can be used for faster recovery.
In fact, each product here has something special about it, which is why we put it at the end of its name. So, you can buy one based on what you want.